The first thing you may notice about the above image is that you can't see a wick. That's because there isn't one. Not in the traditional sense at least. All you can see in the tank is about a milliliter of Vanilla Blackberry Swirl from Virgin Vapor (which is amazing btw).
Taking off the top-cap reveals what's going on.
That puffy substance nestled in the 1.4 Ohm coil is cotton. From a cotton ball, a sterile cotton ball.
So how does it work? Really well. I was quite astonished actually. That little amount of cotton holds over a milliliter of juice, and it saturates the coils with e-liquid better than any SS mesh I've ever used. This results in VERY thick vapor, and the best flavor I've ever experienced. The best part is, its EASY! And I mean really easy, to set up. SS mesh can be difficult at times, even for the most experienced genesis users, and sometimes the wicks just refuse to oxidize properly. When you get it right, it works really well. But when it's wrong, it's a really bad experience.
I've found that setting up a cotton ball "wick" on a genesis to be even easier than setting one up on a RDA. There's more room to work, and to me the AC9 posts are easy to work with. And beyond that, a genesis atty has a tank, a dripper doesn't of course. With the AC9, the wick hole (and more importantly the fill hole) is large enough for juice to travel through it. The fill hole size allows air to enter the tank, preventing a vacuum which would hold the juice in the tank rather than letting it travel to the cotton. So while this works really well on an AC9, it may not work so well on an RBA with a smaller wick hole and smaller fill hole.
The first time I tried this, I used a longer, thin piece of cotton and worked it down into the tank; essentially making a genesis wick out of twisted cotton. But I found that the capillary wicking of the cotton is not very good. It holds a ton of juice, but juice doesn't travel through it as quickly as say SS mesh; especially when the cotton is crammed into the wick hole (it's tight so the fibers are really too close together which is bad for capillary action).
So I decided to use a small piece of cotton that was just sitting into the wick hole, then when you tilt the atomizer juice runs up the wick hole and re-wets the cotton. Essentially making it an auto-dripper. It worked beautifully.
Here's how I set it up:
Start with some Kanthal, I use 28 AWG kanthal. I like 28 gauge because it allows for more wraps per a given resistance, which increases the surface area of the coil, which produces more vapor.
You can't really wrap a coil around cotton (it's too flexible and soft), well you can but it's ugly and difficult to control what resistance you'll end up with. So use a drill-bit or screw-driver or something similar. Try to find something that is roughly the same size as the wick hole. I used a 9/64 drill-bit shaft (3.5mm).
Then wrap your coil as tightly as you can manage. Try to keep your wraps as close together as possible. The coils will expand once you take it off the shaft and you don't want a large spring.
Next, get a small screwdriver (or anything with a small enough shaft to fit through the wick hole), and position your coil above the wick hole securing the leads to the posts.
If you use something that is too small your coil will warp, so try to use something that is just small enough to fit through the hole. A Phillips head screwdriver with a 1/8th inch shaft works well. Don't worry if your coil isn't even or pretty, or if your leads are stretched a bit. This would cause hot-spots with SS mesh, but with cotton it's fine. The cotton expands quite a bit, especially when wet, so it will make good contact with the coils as long as they're reasonably concentric.
Next get some cotton. I use medical cotton balls, they're sterile so you don't have to worry about anything being on the cotton. You don't have to boil anything off, they're clean, thus the designation sterile.
Slowly pull off some cotton from the ball, twisting as you pull. The twist will hold the cotton together.
Once you have enough pull the piece off. You should have a piece that looks similar to this:
Then you can work your small piece into a wick shape at the base by twisting it further until it looks like it will fit through your coil. Twist it down into the coil, twisting the opposite direction than you twisted the cotton so that the cotton piece holds together and moves down inside the coil.
Keep moving it down until it is into the wick hole. When your done it should look like this:
Make sure the cotton is touching the coils at every point. You may have to fluff the cotton a little with a thin piece of wire. If you twist the cotton back the other way (opposite direction from when you twisted it down into the coil) it will expand and loosen up the twist. That will give you better contact with the coil and also improve wicking. When you're satisfied, trim the top with some scissors.
That's all there is to it. Now all you have to do is drip some juice onto the cotton, making sure you get the cotton inside the coil really saturated, and fill the take if you want. If you're just tasting a juice you don't have to fill the tank obviously. When you want to change the wick, all you have to do is pull out the cotton and insert a new piece, you don't ever have to move the coil. It's that easy.
When you're done it should look like this:
Hope you guys try this, it's super easy and works better than anything I've ever tried.